Prices and Data
London Vault Holdings Data
The data represents the volume of Loco London gold and silver held in the London vaults offering custodian services.
We publish total vault holdings data as part of our continued efforts to improve transparency in the Loco London Precious Metals Market, which also includes reporting weekly LBMA Trade Data. The statistics below include the holdings of the London commercial vaults as well as the Bank of England’s gold holdings (the Bank does not hold any silver).
Record Stocks of Silver Held in London Vaults
As at end June 2021, the amount of silver held in London vaults hit a record high of 36,706 tonnes, valued at $30.4 billion which equates to approximately 1,223,521 silver bars.
There was also 9,587 tonnes of gold, valued at $543.5 billion, which equates to approximately 766,989 gold bars. This represents the second highest stocks on record after the all-time high recorded at the end of January 2021.
These figures provide an important insight into London’s ability to underpin the physical OTC market.
The publication on the fifth business day of each month of the amount of gold the London vaults were holding at the end of the previous month follows the recent move to publish the equivalent data for silver. It represents a continued move towards greater transparency and timeliness.
|Troy Ounces ('000s)||Troy Ounces ('000s)|
- Is reported monthly (one month in arrears)
- Represents the holdings on the last day of the month
- Starts from July 2016, when the current set of custodians were established
- Includes precious metals held within the M25, and not outside this area
- Includes all physical forms of metal: large wholesale bars, coin, kilo bars and small bars
- Does not include jewellery and other private holdings held by retailers, individuals and smaller vaults not included in the London Clearing system
Conversion factor: 1 gram = 0.0321507465 troy ounces
Valuations are based on the pm LBMA gold and silver prices at month end
The calculation for number of bars assumes that a standard gold bar weighs 12.5kg and a standard silver bar 30kg